Updating my dwelling room to a much wider baseboard and including some wall trim while I’m at it.
Here’s the before shot of my ‘TV wall’ within the living room. My big hearth is outdoor the shot to the proper. One too many human beings called it a ‘guy cave’ because of the coloration, so I decided to decorate it up a piece. This antique wall is paneling, so I needed to take down all of the 1/four-spherical panel trim. Hopefully the new trim getting in will disguise the abnormal edges.
I painted all of the wall and trim earlier than assembly, so I’d have much less hazard to overlook locations. Here’s 1" quick launch tape on pinnacle of the antique baseboard and it’s walnut stain (yuk). I pull the disposable dropcloth up under the tape. That is rapid and smooth.
Here’s the wall when I painted it. I used an electric powered spraygun, which wasn’t truly faster, but one solid coat and I’m finished. Note the ‘Evil Outlet’ up higher on the right facet. It changed into there when I offered the house. It’s a junction so I can’t just cast off it and fill. It will have an effect on my progress, so I’m pointing it out now.
Rip off the antique baseboards. This is a more youthful man’s job for sure.
GAMBAR4 Sand, primer, and paint all of the trim out in the garage. Much less difficult to color on waist excessive sawhorses, then down on the floor or up towards the ceiling
I marked my studs in the wall with a small piece of blue tape. I put one nail inside the 1×6 baseboard on the a long way quit and then leveled earlier than the second one nail. These baseboards will journey about three/8" higher so I can disguise cables under them.
After you’re satisfied with the location, use a nail set to position the nail heads under the floor….
and fill the holes with drywall compound. Sand and repaint as vital. Here you could see I’ve already put a 1/4 down the facet of the wall.
After I had a x4 on every aspect and across the top, it became time to put out for the subsequent trim. I measured the SPACE among the sideboards, and divided by way of three. I then marked the space, and introduced a few blue tape on both aspect and measured three" out. Once the vertical 1x4s are in location I may not be able to see my mark, so that’s why I brought the opposite . I measured approximately eye degree, connected a board, after which used my bubble stage to make certain the board turned into verticle.
Here’s wherein that evil outlet got here in. I had to placed the primary horizontal above it, and then chose to center the relaxation with the space left. Some of you realize I hate unsymettrical stuff, but no desire this time. I had fifty nine 1/2" between this lower horizontal and the ceiling trim. I subtracted the three half" of the 1×4 and divided by way of . This left 28" above the decrease horizontal board, and 28" underneath the ceiling trim. It was less complicated for me to place within the vertical boards first (they’re simpler to preserve whilst you’re working solo!)
Here’s all four vertical forums, the whole horrizontal board above the evil outlet, and the first upper horizontal board some distance-proper. Only two to go. These came out around five’ each. I sold 1×4 6′ lengthy to make it less difficult to put in, vs buying 8′ boards and having to splice right here and there.
And sooner or later, cleaned up with seasonal decorations in place. Holler if you have questions, and please remark when you have an concept or tip so as to make this simpler for a person else.
(Now to smooth up all of the muddle at the mantle…)