I got here throughout a 1959 sewing cabinet (minus the system) on-line for $15.
So I picked it up and gave it a makeover, to be used as more storage and surface area.
The veneer on the cabinet top turned into damaged. And whilst you unfolded/folded back the pinnacle, there has been a huge hollow, wherein the sewing machine sat in the beginning.
So the primary element I did became visit Home Depot and buy pine timber and have them cut it to the exact same sizes as the 2 original fold out portions.
Then I eliminated the 2 originals from the cupboard, flipped them over and connected the brand new pine wood to the authentic pinnacle, using the existing hinges.
The toughest a part of this challenge for me, become notching out holes to sink the hinges down into the new wood. I did some studies and seemingly the best tool to do that is a router. Which I do now not have! (But guess what I’ve asked Santa/mommy for this year? Lol)
So I used what I had, a hammer and a chisel. It become a piece of a hack activity. But I changed into capable of get the process accomplished.
GAMBAR3 I used wood filler to cowl the hinge notches that were at the cabinet itself. I only did the outside edges because the inner would not be seen as soon as I re-connected the top.
I also removed the deal with from the door and crammed those holes with wood filler.
I then delivered castors to the lowest.
For the inside of the cabinet I wanted to create shelves.
I had two pieces of pine timber reachable, but they had been now not deep enough to attain the lower back. So I found a bit of laminated cloth in my scrap pile the equal thickness and decided to use that as a filler piece in the back of the bottom shelf. Even although it changed into sleek and white, I although it’d make a neat comparison up in opposition to the wood once it became stained a darkish colour.
I noticed after multiple days the pine timber was starting to warp barely. Probably as it was bloodless and damp inside the garage and the wooden became unsealed. So I introduced the entirety internal to finish it up. I placed something heavy at the timber and the warps went away, thankfully!
I glued the authentic top to the cabinet. Then clamped it and left it to dry overnight. Once dry I delivered screws, going from inside the cabinet up into the pinnacle.
Then I sanded the entirety lightly and stained the pine top and shelves the usage of a darkish walnut gel stain. I applied it with an antique t-blouse.
Once dry I implemented stain sealer, the usage of a foam brush.
I screwed the lowest shelf peices into region. I flipped the cupboard on it is again and screwed from the bottom up.
Then I painted the cabinet a light grey. The little indents on the perimeters of the drawers (for beginning them) I left the authentic brown.
I failed to like how the white filler piece within the backside shelf looked at all! So I carried out the same gel stain the use of a little chip brush. I was amazed how nicely it labored!! It took about 3 minutes to do and made a massive difference to the general look!
Then the final step changed into to use a re-layout transfer to the the front. I had received it as a present and notion it’d simply make this piece pop. My 9 yr vintage daughter and I implemented the transfer collectively, following the commands.
I had never used a transfer earlier than and cherished the impact! No plastic outlines like there are with decals. Up near it certainly looks as if it’s been painted on! LOVE!!
I determined an antique vintage door pull in my garage and used that in preference to the unique.
And here it’s miles…After it’s makeover!
This empty shell has been transformed right into a quite functional piece.
A excellent piece for extra kitchen storage/counter space or as a bar cart for wonderful!!
If all people has this kind of old sewing shelves cast apart and taking over space, hopefully this evokes you to dust it off and make it practical again! 🙂